Since its founding in 1998, the company has exclusively been focused on education. Initially called HorizonLive, the company has evolved and grown through the acquisition of additional collaboration technologies (and since 2007) goes by the name of Wimba.
What does Wimba stand for?
“Wimba" is an abbreviated version of one of our founder’s middle name. His name is Keith Wimberly Ross. Also, a decade ago Wimba was used in many language learning programs, and, coincidentally, the sound ‘Wimba’ is pronounced the same way in the majority of languages worldwide.
- 1998 – HorizonLive- founded by a design firm as a project for Reuters that would help reduce travel among its worldwide staff, seedlings of Wimba Classroom.
- 2004 – Merged with French-based company, Wimba, acquiring voice-authoring technology now known as Wimba Voice. The company at this time changed name to Horizon Wimba
- 2005 – Acquired Connected Learning and its Word to Web capabilities, known as Wimba Create.
- 2006 – Acquired Brownstone and its question authoring and management tools, Diploma, used by all major text-book publishers
- 2007 – Changed name to Wimba and offers Wimba Collaboration Suite