What I learned at Wimba Connect
Posted: 27 April 2009 12:06 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2009-04-27

This was my second year at Wimba Connect.  Last year one of my big concerns was the inability to remap the push to talk key.  Wimba fixed it.

This year my biggest concern is students complaining about audio and video being out of synch in archives.  Looks like thats being taken care of as well. 

Last year the hotel that hosted the conference was, at best, terrible.  You had to pay for internet access, the rooms were shabby, and the conference areas had paper thin walls.  This year the hotel was first rate.  Internet access was handled by Wimba, the rooms were VERY nice and the conference areas were terrific. 

What did I learn?  Wimba listens to its clients and gives them what they want.

I also learned that I’m not the only person concerned about the current state of distance education.  But I won’t bore you with that right now.  (DE 2.0)

Other things I learned, that aren’t so positive:
-Blackboard’s reps don’t really know much about their product.  (And those little, hard to open tins of mints are a great analogy to teaching on their platform.)
-Wimba didn’t know that Free Pronto only beeps when you send a message not when you receive one. (But they said they would try to fix it.  I love Wimba.)
-Most people visited vendors strictly to get their cards stamped...(kinda sad really)
-If you have a last minute idea for your presentation...it probably won’t come out as well as you thought it would...so don’t stay up all night working on it.

Finally, I learned I’m definitely coming back for Wimba Connect 2010,
See you there,
Matthew Trotter

Posted: 28 February 2011 01:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2011-02-26

Excellent post, doesn’t get better than this!!..

Posted: 14 June 2011 03:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2011-06-14

Great post!Thank you for sharing your experience.

Fast Reply